We run 24/7 live chat teams for a ton of stores, and a big part of how we drive sales is saving checkout abandons with live chat. But we’ve also been able to see the inner workings of a lot of abandoned cart sequences.
- Day 1, within minutes, SMS- within a few minutes after someone abandons, send an SMS message with a link to their cart. Subtly let them know they can come back and complete the purchase if they got interrupted (no promo).
- Day 2, after 4 hours, email- if they haven’t converted from the SMS, send an email reminder with similar messaging around four hours later.
- Day 3 – The day after they abandon, send another email. But in this email include a call to action to chat with your team for any questions they have. This can perform really well since it turns an email into a live conversation. It also works well in the 1st email above.
- Day 4- 2 days later, send a final email with an offer of some sort, credibility such as product testimonials, and a deadline for your offer. This serves as an incentive for the visitor to complete the purchase.
- Day 5+ Move them into your content and offer sequence, like other email sequences. Also, target them with ads as part of your retargeting campaigns. You can consider the abandon cart sequence complete and shift to other tactics.
What type of sequence for SMS and email are guys using? Have you seen any massive impact with small changes? We found that layering in the SMS right after the abandonment (subtle not sales) can work really well.
Jon Tucker is CEO of HelpFlow, a provider of 24/7 live chat and customer service teams for 100+ eCommerce stores. Launched in 2015, their team of agents has produced nearly $100M in chat revenue for a wide range of stores using a conversion-focused approach to live chat.
Your Store Needs a 24/7 Live Chat Team
HelpFlow can drive sales by having our team of human agents available on live chat 24/7 to predict and save abandons before they happen, proactively reach out and engage with visitors via SMS and email after they abandon, and by answering visitor questions live on your website to convert visitors.